} Hi Robert, good to hear from you. You have inspired me to delve into cooking sticky rice using the proper steaming basket. } When you see it in the package, it will look like jasmine rice size, but it’s more milky colored and not transparent at all. err.parentNode.removeChild(err) : false; if (results != undefined) { there’s also black sticky rice. Required fields are marked *. There are some recipes that say you can skip the soaking and just steam for 1 – 2 hours or something like that, but I think for the greatest results, it’s best to stick with the traditional Thai and Laos method of soaking the rice overnight. if (no_error && /date_field/.test(elem.className)) { Cover and bring to a boil. They are authentic which is great. } else { Just enter your name and email below and I promise to only send you delicious emails :). Drain well to remove all the excess water. The diameter of the bowl should be less than the diameter of the screen. I had steamed the sticky rice for an hour this time using the Wok and splatter guard method, turning the rice every 15 minutes to ensure even cooking as the grains at the bottom picked up more moisture. selected = false; I have a sensitive stomach only 60% left. }; allInputs[i].value = fieldVal; All I wanted to know was to know how to make sticky rice – this was long winded and all a bit sticky ! It is what is used to make sushi. elem.className = elem.className + ' _has_error'; } In my opinion, if you’re going to make the cuisines of another’s country its important to understand the history. } The email addresses you've entered will not be stored and will only be used to send this email. Came back from Thailand in the summer with a huge bag of sticky rice, a tin pot and a rice basket. var form_submit = function(e) { Saturates 14.3 g. 71%. var elems = form_to_submit.elements[elem.name], found = false, err = []; inner.innerHTML = text; var form = document.getElementById('_form_' + id + '_'), err = document.createElement('div'), button = form.querySelector('button'), old_error = form.querySelector('._form_error'); I’ve been wanting to learn how to make sticky rice …..my nephew married a woman who is from Lao…..she makes sticky rice everyday …..one day I was visiting and sat down to eat dinner with them and I fell in love with sticky rice………my question to you is what kind of rice do you use for sticky rice I’ve been looking for one that says sticky rice but I can only find jasmine, sushi, and just regular white rice …….can you give me any suggestions please thank you. I loved the history and geographical specificity! I used to have a rice steamer and saw little difference between steamed and rice cooker sticky rice, and never replaced the steamer once it got too grungy. For this recipe, I used 1 kg. } HI Mark, I love your video. amzn_assoc_asins = "B017281FCE,B00889ZGZ4,B00DAHXEDK,B000FA1HBQ"; Thank you very much for the information again. Flavors: Fluffy Thai sticky rice Line the basket with cheese cloth…it makes it easy to remove and nothing gets stuck. I usually use aluminium foil to create a sort of pocket. If you can find it…. Thanks for sharing. tooltip.tip.className = tooltip.tip.className.replace(/ ? The problem I have is cleaning the basket afterward. var time = now.getTime(); In this recipe you’ll learn how to make Thai sticky rice so it turns out delicious and fluffy, and also how it’s cooked and eaten in Thailand. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your not only your recipes but your really helpful information. Food is a universal language that everyone can relate too. Read the recipe below, and watch the. tooltips[i].tip.parentNode.removeChild(tooltips[i].tip); } } return no_error; It’s whole grain and extremely rich in antioxidants. You feel the food and the culture. } element.addEventListener(event, func); Thank you. I really appreciate your detailed and interesting post. When you are traveling or visiting Isaan or the north of Thailand, you’ll have the opportunity to eat sticky rice for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and for snacks as well. Anyone have a good recipes for dipping sauce? if (allInputs[i].type == "radio" || allInputs[i].type == "checkbox") { I had to do lots of research years ago when I wanted to learn about it. In this post, I’m not only going to explain to you how to make Thai sticky rice, but I’m also going to offer a bit of information about the culture of eating sticky rice and how it’s eaten in Thailand. var elems = form_to_submit.elements[elem.name]; And many people often think that if you’re feeling sleepy or need a nap, you may have eaten too much sticky rice (this is a joke, but I have heard many Thais use it)! } if (window.location.search.search("excludeform") !== -1) return false; However the unsweetened version is also quite tasty and great with Issarn food. The rice you need is not easy to find. You are so cute! Alternatively, you can soak for at least 4 - 5 hours, but overnight is best. You will love it and I really hope you give this Khao Niew Ma Muang (Thai Sweet Sticky Rice with Mango) a try. }; Hey Mark, I love your recipes. who cares haha. I love some sticky rice I wish there were a store here in bucyrus Ohio where I live at, Thank you for sharing this recipe. I live in Chiang Rai and tend to just buy my cooked sticky rice from the lady on the corner (ranges between 30-35 baht per kilo). Vietnamese,Thai, Laotian and Cambodian market. Drain and rinse thoroughly. if (elem.type != 'radio' && elem.type != 'checkbox') {

var getUrlParam = function(name) { I am storing in an airtight container until I get the Thai baskets. Thank you for the recipe and additional info! tooltip = create_tooltip(elem, "Enter a valid date.

for (var i = 0; i < allInputs.length; i++) { } new_tooltip.tip = tooltip; I’m wondering if that’s the “regular rice” that is typically eaten with stir fries, curries, and tom yum. I love the videos both of you make Mark and Joel and i hope someday i can meet you guys and eat somewhere cause i want to taste that culture. } The basket is the shape of a big cone, closed off at one end, and open and wide at the top. Sticky rice in Thailand is eaten as a staple starch – the main filler of a meal, it’s also eaten as a snack along with something salty like grilled meat, and it’s also an important ingredient in many Thai desserts. I made rice every few days. var remove_tooltip = function(elem) { I am also sensitive to MSG. Hey Alex, thank you very much, glad this is helpful. In sticky rice eating regions of Thailand, the rice is usually soaked in water overnight, and for this recipe that’s exactly what I’ll be doing.