", "It was helpful to learn how to hold it while peeling. If you’ve ever cubed an avocado, this step will be familiar: Using a paring knife, cut a grid pattern on each mango half, being sure not to cut through the skin. Cut the small square mango pieces of the peel into a bowl and enjoy your mango. Turn your mango 180 degrees and hold the top while you slice the other half off of the pit. Step 1: Score the mango. Then repeat with the other side. To remove it, stand the mango upright on a cutting board so that the stem end is facing up. As always, be sure to exercise caution when handling a knife to avoid injury. Mango skin is edible and packed with nutrients like vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. Hold the mango so it is standing up on the cutting board. Mango smoothies are a perfect example, I also love using mango in a variety of delicious and healthy salads. To make thin mango slices, use a sharp knife to vertically cut each half of the fruit from … Set your mango on its side on a cutting board, and with a sharp knife (dull knives are dangerous! But learning how to cut a mango doesn't have to be a scene from a horror film. By using our site, you agree to our. Cut the second cheek from the other side of the mango and repeat the process. About half of the world's mangoes grow in India, and second is China, proving that a zone with hot weather will be the best place to grow a mango. Do this to both ‘cheeks’ using the knife and then a spoon to gather as much flesh as possible from the skin. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. With the mango lying on the cutting board skin-down, gently yet firmly cut the mango away from the skin. Molly Watson. Also, we finally know how to cut a mango. This is an efficient way to cut mangoes, especially if you have to cut a … Press the skin upwards. Required fields are marked *. If you get a fruit that is too soft, it will get messy and hard to cut. ", "It helped me and scoring the mango was fun.". Then if you mangle the rest of it a bit trying to get it off the seed, no big deal! Make sure the mango is ripe. A mango has one long, flat seed in the center of the fruit. It should not be too firm, and should be slightly soft. The pit is oblong and flat, somewhat like a disc. 1 Cut the mango along the sides of the pit. Thank you! The videos of each step were, "I have really mangled mangoes trying to cut them. Carefully cut all the way to the peel, but not through it. "I never could figure out a good way to cut a mango, and this article helped. It just requires a bit of know-how—and a lot of practice. It's as if you're cutting the mango in half, but just off-center. It only requires four major cuts and then scoring the flesh to make slices or cubes. To create this article, 53 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. Mangoes need plenty of sunshine and water. Using a large sharp knife, cut alongside the wide part of the pit as close to it as possible from the top of the mango down one side of the pit. Use caution; your hands may become very slippery. Simple statements. When cutting the mango, you want a to preserve as much of the cheeks as possible, since this is the part you eat. Then, take the end pieces and score the fresh side of them with a knife so it looks like a grid. Mangos are ripe when they have a very strong smell to them. If your knife hits friction while cutting … Next time for sure I'll be using this method! They then rip the tip off the mango, and suck the pulp and juice straight from the top of the fruit. This is where you’re going to get the bulk of your cut mango pieces. ", "It was too late for this time, I already made a slimy mess. If a cleaner edge is desired, use a paring knife to slice them off at the base, near the skin. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. It helps to understand the basic shape of the pit so you can most easily cut around it. ", "I didn't know how to cut one up, and made a big mess. Tip: I use this same technique to cut … Peel the mango using a paring knife or potato peeler. Leaving a small space on the left and right sides of the stem, use a chef's knife to cut off the sides of the mango. While the mango fruit is commonly sliced with a sharp knife before serving, it is possible to eat a mango without cutting it at all. The diced flesh will cling to the skin. Finally, take the center piece of the mango and cut around the pit with the knife before peeling off the remaining skin. ", detail. You just have to remember when you bought it, as whole mangos usually last about five days in the refrigerator. Great website! Before we begin we should know how to pick a good mango at the store. When you cut the sides off, you should feel the seed with the edge of your knife… There are a couple of methods for cutting mangoes that will allow you to enjoy this delicious fruit. Easiest way to skin a mango – turn mango up so pit is facing horitzontal with cutting board. Set it upright with the fatter end on the cutting board. How can I grow a plant with the mango pit? I love using mango in a variety of different ways. [1] X Research source You may also use a clean vegetable brush to scrub the surface of the mango, but this isn’t necessary since you will not be eating the skin. 2. Next with a sharp knife, cut down each side of the mango using the seed as a guide for a close cut. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Our favorite way to peel a mango is actually with a drinking glass (yep, really). Mangoes usually grow in warm or tropical areas, and the climate affects their growth. To create this article, 53 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. (Mango has a large pit.) The Mango Knife is ideal for cutting up mango after you've got it off the pit, as well. So, to cut the flesh off the mango you need to first pit the fruit. First Side Mango Cut. Many thanks for the easy-to-follow directions! You want to cut as close to the skin as possible, without cutting through the skin. Work around the curve of the stone to cut the cheeks off. Cut a grid. Once you're finished, press the skin-side of the mango up so the squares you scored poke out. Repeat the same thing on the other side of the mango. References All you need is a sharp knife (chefs knife is recommended, but a paring knife will work) and a large spoon. Last Updated: November 17, 2020 After you are done you will have two sides and the middle part where the pit is. It is very easy to follow and helpful. Here’s how: Cut a mango in half, set the bottom of each piece on the edge of a glass and apply … A mango seems like a bloody knife accident just waiting to happen; I mean, soft texture plus solid seed does not a simple slice make. Egg Bacon Pastrami on English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich, Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe for Super Bowl Party. 3. How do you cut mango – Instructions. Use the vegetable peeler to remove slices of mango skin until the skin is almost gone. ", http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-wash-fruits-and-vegetables/, http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_mango/, http://startcooking.com/how-to-cut-a-mango, http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/06/mango-frozen-yogurt/, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow, The fattest two edges of the mango are called the “cheeks.”. Starting from the top of the mango, cut down the mango, angling slightly around the pit, to remove the cheeks. More ripe fruits will have yellow/red color all around, but of course you can get one with some green and let it sit for a few days. When your knife cannot scrape any more mango flesh off, this means you have reached the pit. Thank you to the author! Fortunately, mangos have thinner skins than avocados, so you simply peel them with a vegetable or Y-shaped peeler, instead of having to scoop the fruit out from the skin. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 1,187,551 times. Lightly press the mango to see if it is ripe. Place the mango on a cutting board, stem facing away from your knife. You should end up with three pieces: two halves, and a middle section that includes the pit. Hold the mango under cool running tap water, and gently rub it with your hands as you rinse it. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. you are sure to save the best part. This article received 20 testimonials and 92% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. Makes it much easier to remove the fruit. ", shapes. How far ahead of serving can I slice a mango? 1. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. Once the mango feels slimy, you’ll know you’ve reached the sweet part. ", excellent, easier to understand the directions when we can see what and how to do it. With a small paring knife, carefully slice half of the mango off of the pit while aiming your knife towards the center of the mango. Family friendly day to day recipes and cooking activities. A lot of help and information. Stand the fruit upright (bottom stem-side down)—it should stand up on a flat bottom. ", "Very clear instructions, easy to follow, and I love the way you showed us more than one method. Note that you are NOT cutting the skin away from the mango. You will end up with three pieces: two halves of mango flesh, and the middle section that has the pit. Using a knife cut the left and right sides off of the mango. ", "It helped me with knowing about the pit, how it is shaped, and how to cut around it. Thank you. Slice off the … Using A Peeler. This is Arela and Marcin and we would like to welcome you on our food blog. They will also "give" a little when gently squeezed. The first way we’re going to peel a mango is using a peeler. This article has been viewed 1,187,551 times. The fattest two edges of the mango are called the “cheeks,” and these are the two edges you are cutting. I know for some of us cutting a mango might seem like a very easy task but for some, this might be a bit more challenging than we think. Hardly any bites! 1 Cut the mango along the sides of the pit. Into slices. Your email address will not be published. ", "I thought it was a great presentation, clear and easy to follow. Continue to turn the mango as necessary as you peel every edge. We are glad to see you here! Use the vegetable peeler to remove the skin off the mango just as you would to take the skin off a cucumber. To cut using a mango slicer, simply place the mango (stem-side down) in the orange tray (which looks like a bird’s beak) and fit the open whole of the slicer over the top-most point.